Monday, July 6, 2009

So, uh.. I guess it's been a while.. .. ..

There's been some talk on a message board that I frequent about blogs lately. Which made me remember something -- I HAVE ONE OF THOSE! Oh right!!

Okay, feeble attempt at catching up on the last five months:

Photography: Since February I've assisted with two weddings (one including a hike over to Tally which made for an excruciatingly long day, but was entirely worth it), done a solo engagement shoot for my best friend's sister back home (who is getting married on Friday!), along with an awesomely fun double trash-the-dress, and most recently, a maternity shoot (perhaps part one of two if I'm lucky!) with a nauseatingly adorable couple who happened to have gotten married on the same day that I did. In terms of equipment, I haven't bit into any new lenses, though I've been drooling. I have purchased wireless transmission hardware for my flash and a diffusion box, which allows for soft, off-camera light. This opens up a huge world of possibilities, since pictures are really nothing more than captured light. So the more control you have over the light, the more freedom you have to create images. . . . In theory. As I have freely stated, I am still a student in the early stages. I have passion and vision, but I still struggle with focusing those through my equipment into the product I had in mind. This has been especially true with my off-camera flash work. It's tricky and somewhat elusive at this point, and my opportunities to use it have thusfar been limited by time, heat, bugs, etc., so that I haven't really had the time/patience/subjects to make small adjustments and reshoot ad nauseum, which may be the only way for me to truly learn how each combination of settings translates into an image. I have a feeling my dog will have to suffer through some fun in the coming weeks!

Running: Well, seasons (I use the term loosely here, since we're talking about Florida..) have changed, and it's gone from winter's "crap this is uncomfortable" quickly to summer's "dear Jesus I can't breathe, and I think my vision is getting cloudy." Typically the local Gate River Run in March marks the end of my running "year," and like a confused bear, I hibernate until roughly September, when I emerge, cranky and out of shape, to consider the tortures of fall racing (another term used quite looseley, since we're talking about me...). I inevitably am miserable due to starting from ground zero, which just serves to remind me of the pains of running, not its joys. Last year I trained through the later part of the summer (I think I started training in late August), and my "achievements" were modest, but I did feel like I reached my goals, specifically running a 10K with no walk breaks.

This year, however, is a whole new ball game. The River Run was not the beginning of hibernation, but rather, regrouping. I focused on the couch-to-5K program that a friend had expressed interest in. While helping her by providing moral support and someone to make her feel guilty if she bailed on a run (never happened, for the record), this plan actually did a ton for my personal running. It forced me to get out there as the weather started to get warmer, but it also forced me to focus on consistency over shorter distances without particular emphasis on pace. Getting out there just to get out there. We did do a 5K last month, though the heat has just been brutal this year, so we've since extended the program with no specific date or race in mind. We're just slogging through the miles and getting stronger every day. What more can you ask for?? Oh, and we are now nocturnal. It was difficult to get used to, and I still struggle with it, but 5am running is the only way I can bear to continue. Even at that hour, the humidity is punishing, and the temperature is no picnic at usually 76-80 degrees. It may be a small reward, but it's worth the sacrifice!

In addition to that, I've started a somewhat willy-nilly half marathon training plan. It's roughly 2 times as long as the plan from which it was adapted. The reason for this is that the original plan, like most plans, has one week for each mile increase for long runs. So if your long run is 6 miles on week 4, it's 7 miles on week 5. And I know this is tried and true for many, but for me, it is tried and false, and several times over at that. So I will extend it so that I do each distance twice. Some argue that this will make me burnt out, because toward the end I will have been doing long runs for some time. And maybe they are right, and I will burn out. Or maybe I'll just get stronger. Only time will tell. And speaking of time -- if I'm going to be out the door at 5am, I had better hit the sack! I'll babble more tomorrow if I haven't forgotten this thing by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment