Friday, July 17, 2009

Win some, Lose Some

Happy birthday to my wonderful husband!! Hopefully he will enjoy my little gifty. I hate that I have zilch in the way of funds to get snazzy gifts, but.. such is life. We're going to try a new place for dinner tomorrow night, I think. That should be fun! And then Sunday after my long run, I think we're going to hang at the beach a bit and try the place that ships down stuff from Philly to make authentic cheesesteaks. We've been meaning to do that for ages, and I hope we're not disappointed. The atrocities that people in this region call "cheesesteaks" make me cringe!
 
Hope you enjoyed the picture of Clancy in his running gear. :) It's actually a dry-wick shirt, which makes me giggle (a) because it's ridiculous, and (b) because dogs don't sweat! lol He rocks it out, though, don't you think??
 
Weather and traffic killed my chance to run with Kate on Wednesday (she went by herself though! woohoo!), which may have been a good thing. And pure laziness killed my 3-3.5miler planned for Thursday morning. So, as punishment, I went last night at about 6:30. It was DREADFUL. I ran out of gas at just over a mile. I blame giving blood for that, but it probably has something to do with skipping my Monday run... And then I decided to turn it into an intervals workout, just to get something out of it. So I did 3x400 at about 8:40/mi, walking for 400m in between. I ended up averaging 12:20/mi, which is certainly slower than I planned, but I still got a good workout, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself. It was miserably hot and humid, and I was covered in sweat almost immediately. As an added bonus, there were clouds of gnats everywhere, and due to the aforementioned sweat, they STUCK to my skin. So gross. Needless to say, I was REALLY happy when I was back home.
 
Then this morning, I was NOT happy about getting out of bed. I was up later than I should've been, by no fault but my own. And apparently I forgot to turn off my garmin when I got home last night, so -- no pace reading. Poo. I knew roughly where we needed to go for 1.5mi, and we may actually have gone a smidge over, but Kate did awesome. Total rock star, even sprinted at the end. She's mostly over the whole 5am thing, so we're going to start just running together once/week, and she'll go solo twice a week. I just can't handle the sun in the evenings right now, unfortunately. It's probably for the best, since in 3-4 weeks I think I'll be doing enough mileage in my own training that I might not have the gas to go with her. So this should work out perfectly. And then when it cools down, we may be able to combine her runs and my runs on the same day, and I don't think it'll be much longer than that until we're at the same pace.
 
In other news -- I am completely wrapped up in the Tour de France. I'm a big Armstrong fan, more for his work for cancer fundraising than athleticism, but his triumphs are pretty amazing. And he's an amazing athlete to be giving these young guys a run for their money when he's 38 and has been out of cycling for 3 years. Today is supposed to be a big stage, so I'll be listening to the audio while I work this morning. It's a climb-heavy stage in the Alps, so Lance's team may do something fun/exciting. That would make my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment