Sunday, July 19, 2009

Fun and Not So Fun

Life needs balance, right? Well I guess I got some this weekend...

Saturday was good. Woke up at 4:30a to head to Amelia Island for Dave's triathlon. He did a great job -- beat his best time for this distance by 20 minutes!! Met a few of the Hammerhead folks for a late breakfast at Johnny Angels (SO good!), and the idea was to go home and nap, but that didn't actually happen. Since Friday was Dave's birthday but we weren't able to go to dinner in light of the early morning, we had planned on going somewhere special on Saturday night. I had gotten some recommendations for new places we hadn't tried yet in town and at the beach, but we ended up going with somewhere out in Fernandina that we had been reminded of while driving home from the tri that morning. So at about 5:30 we hopped back in the car for a 50min drive to the Beech Street Grill. It's a gorgeous old building, built in 1885-89.. The food is good, the staff was amazing, and the prices were reasonable -- especially considering they actually gave a full meal. We've been a couple of places where a similarly-priced entree was less than half the size. So on my thin scientist wallet, I was pretty pleased. They even comped Dave's dessert because it was his birthday. I was hoping for a sombrero and a song, too, but I guess that's just the Jersey in me. ;)

Our original weekend plan included heading back home and to bed early, so that we could hit the road at 5 or 5:30 for a 4-5 mile run. But after being fattened up on yummy food, I was feeling so utterly exhausted that I couldn't fathom waking up in fewer than 10 hours. So we decided to live on the edge and go sans alarm clock for once, and push the run to the evening.

Got a lot done today.. Dave washed our cars, and I did my interior, washed my laundry, cleaned the kitchen... Ate our left-overs for dinner while catching up a bit on The Tour on tivo.. waited a couple of hours for digestion, and went out for the 4-5 miler. Officially I only needed to do 4 miles, but I wanted to try for 5. I knew by mile 1 that I wasn't going to be able to keep my 11min/mi pace for one more mile, let alone 4. So I decided to not worry about my pace, and suck it up and do 5 miles, no matter how long it took me. My lack of ability to breathe was beyond frustrating, and so while my legs (per usual) felt fine, I couldn't go any faster because I was on the verge of hyperventilating. And I'm not a nice person when I'm frustrated. Like, not at all nice. Like, I can't remember the last time I let rip a string of profanity quite so long. And we're still talking about maybe 1.25mi into the run here, folks. Ugh. I clung on for the five miles for what felt like five years of swimming. Pace was 11:52. I was at 10:44 last week for 4mi. Granted, it was in NJ, and granted I did give blood this week and I did flake a bit on my midweek runs... but it was completely demotivating to have a run like this just when I felt like I was making progress. I don't even care how fast I'm going - I just want to feel strong.

Oh, and at the triathlon, I also learned that there's a separate class of triathloners that are over a certain weight.... ... I am now 4lb over that weight. That made me a little bit sad. . . . But then I watched the half-ton teen (..again..), and comparatively, I'm doin all right. *snicker*

No comments:

Post a Comment