Saturday, January 3, 2009

Purple-turned-yellow

Well today ends week 3 of my training plan, and marks the first week with no "skips." Did 3 miles on Sunday, pilates (with the help of Clancy) on Monday, 3 miles on Tuesday, rest Wednesday.. I rested on Thursday as well, though I was supposed to run 3 miles with bridges optional. I did the 3 miles (though I opted out of the bridges, more for sake of time than anything else) on Friday before heading out for 7 hours of wedding coverage with the fabulous Kylene. Then today I did about 40 minutes of crosstraining at the gym -- about 15 min bike, about 15min stairclimber. I need to work in more upper body weights, but my shoulders are a little achey from carrying gear yesterday, so I decided to play it safe.

Tomorrow is 4 miles. The "official" training for the race that they publish in the paper will only be doing 3 miles, but they only go up to 7 miles for the longest run, and I'd really like to get to 8 miles. So I've added 1 mile to all of the long runs to make up for it. And I also am a firm believer in a good taper week, so I'm not doing any stinkin 7 miles the week before the race. I'll probably do 4, maybe 5. We'll see how tomorrow's 4 miles go. The last few runs I've done on my own I've gotten tired and bored around 1.5 miles and turned them into speedwork. I would really like to do this at a nice, even pace without walk breaks. I may force myself to rein it in to something like 10:45 or 10:50, which will feel slow when I get started, but I know I'll be pooped when all is said and done!

As for photo world, as I mentioned I shot a wedding with Kylene yesterday. At this point I think my real usefulness is in helping with lighting, etc., since I still have a lot of learning to do. I still have a habit of not fully taking in the whole scene in terms of light issues before taking a shot, so I am still missing some of those candid moments, or quick moments when you only get one capture and it's gone. It's frustrating, because those are often the most powerful moments, and I feel like I'm still somewhat hit-or-miss. Though I have to give myself a bit of credit that I'm at least getting more hits than I was when I first started. And this is why, for now, I will be sticking to portraits. :) I do feel less anxious at weddings now, so hopefully that will also help me to relax and focus on taking aesthetically pleasing pictures, instead of praying I don't screw up too horribly. It helps that Kylene is awesome, and it's not like she NEEDS my pictures. She's got it covered and then some. So I'll just soak up her knowledge and hopefully by the time I'm ready to move back up north, I'll be ready to be a full-time photographer..... and dare I say, a mom...??? But these things are almost too far away to really think about in a concrete way. Still, it's fun to imagine the different possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment